Subject: RE: [search-ws] queryn: A proposal for SRU to facilitate forms processing

Order is not guaranteed by forms encoders.  Typically, it is the reverse
of the order in the form, but not guaranteed.  In the original Google
example, order was not important.  Here it is and the only guarantee of
order would be by picking parameter names that are orderable.

Ralph

OASIS
> SWS TC
> Subject: RE: [search-ws] queryn: A proposal for SRU to facilitate
forms
> processing
>
> Actually, thinking on this a little - would a simpler solution be
simply to allow
> query to be repeatable.
>
> e.g.
>
> http://server/searchRetrieve?query= title%20exact%20fish
>
> could be  also sent as
>
> http://server/searchRetrieve?query=title&query=exact&query=fish
>
> (the server just assembles the values for query in the order supplied
inserting
> whitespace).
>
> Most server-side cgi will still cope with this (some need a little
effort, e.g. the
> solution for php is here:
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.get.php#92439)
>
> Matthew

That way
> > one could have
> >
> >     searchRetrieve = query | queryn
> >
> > And that becomes easy to test for the searchRetrieve operation. Do
you
> > gave a parameter named query*?
> >
> > The parameter "query" has the actual data by value, whereas the
parameter
> > "queryn" is more like data by reference - the number is not
dissimilar from a
> > location - the count is used in fact to locate the parameters within
the
> > parameter space.
> >
> > Whether one also needs to have the "queryType", I could live with
that - if
> > it's really required. But I can't readily live with the string
"fbcql". Can't it be
> > something more down to earth like "cql-lite" or "cql-simple" or even
"cql-
> > form", or of that ilk? Let's keep the branding "cql" up front, and
use a word
> > rather than a token. (We do have "xcql" but that is exclusively for
XML. I
> > wouldn't feel any requirement to follow the naming here.)
> >
> > Tony

Publishers