Subject: RE: [search-ws] queryn: Some further comments

> What I do think is improper is to use the query parameter in one case
> to signal a searchRetrieve operation, and a queryType in another
> case to do the same. The same parameter (or parameter twin) should
> do the same job.
>
> And then what happens if one has queryType=cql and no query parameter?

I completely disagree.  I see no problem with one or the other doing the
job.

If queryType=cql and the CQL transport mechanism says there should be a
query parameter and there isn't, then you throw the appropriate CQL
error.

If queryType=cql-form and the cql-form transport mechanism says there
should be one or more q* parameters and there aren't, then you throw the
appropriate cql-form error.

> I would hope that operation is inferred on basis of a single
parameter.
> query/queryn seem to me to be naturally twinned. query/queryType are
> more distantly related.

Today it is just query and queryn.  Tomorrow there will be a third and
after than many more.  In the foreseeable future, there are only
queryType and query.

Ralph