Subject: RE: [search-ws] Call Monday, January 10; cql-form options

> Sorry, I've completely lost track of what problem we're trying to solve
> here.
>
> Ralph

We're trying to solve the cql-form problem.   Where we left of (before my
message yesterday) was that Tony had suggested that he wanted it modeled in
terms of pre-processing.  So that the query would be transmitted via
parameters, i.e. in "form' form, and then the server would convert those
parameters into a cql query, and process it as a conventional cql query.

What we don't understand is: is this conversion (a) supposed to be visible
to the protocol, or (b) is it something that the server is free to do if it
chooses but is invisible to the protocol.

You (Ralph) and I balk at the prospect of (a), and we are not clear what
Tony's position is, but it seems that that is what he is advocating, an
explicit modification to the protocol model to accommodate this conversion.
Tony will have to weigh in.

The other issue was ....

To remove the query parameter or not.  You (Ralph) suggested that we can
eliminate the query parameter and make it a query-specific parameter,
specifically, THE query-specific parameter for CQL.  While I initially went
along with the idea, Tony objected, and I agree with his objection.

Are you back on track?

--Ray