Subject: RE: [search-ws] Two questions: CQL - Weighting; Explain - Diagnostics

Weighting has never been discussed.  I've got no problem with adding it.

I think supporting local diagnostics through Explain is a fine idea.

Ralph

-----Original Message-----
From: Hammond, Tony [mailto:t.hammond@nature.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 12:45 AM
To: OASIS SWS TC
Subject: [search-ws] Two questions: CQL - Weighting; Explain -
Diagnostics

Hi:

Here's a couple oddball questions arising from implementing an SRU
server:

    1. CQL - Weighting. I wondered if there had ever been any discussion
on
weighting of indexes (or field "boosts" as it's called, I believe, in
Lucene
queryparser syntax). This is one of the facets of search operation that
we
are routinely managing. Previously this was very much in the background
but
we are now foregrounding more so as to make it easier to test client
interfaces. And so, while we are weighting against content sections
rather
than indexes as such, it seems pertinent to at least ask the question,
given
that other search APIs (e.g. Lucene) do support this functionality.

    2. Explain - Diagnostics. One of the key functionalities of SRU
beyond
structured queries and structured result sets is the standardization of
diagnostics suite. And this is of real interest to any apps built on top
of
SRU. (And currently we are building just such a one.) At present we only
have the diagnostics we support documented in the codebase itself, We
could
(and should) document this separately. But the most obvious place to
document this would be the explain record. Is there any reason not to
allow
for diagnostic codes supported by the server to be added to the explain
record since this is one of the principal features of the server?

Cheers,

Tony

********
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone
who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in
error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other
storage
mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents
accept
liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and
not
expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of its
agents.
Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its
agents
accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this
e-mail or
its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of
Macmillan
Publishers Limited or its agents by means of e-mail communication.
Macmillan
Publishers Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered
number 785998
Registered Office Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS