Subject: search-sw: Re: Names and URIs

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Denenberg, Ray <rden@loc.gov> wrote:
> I have posted the document OASIS URIs listing for each of our eight documents the nickname, fullname (including short name) and URI.  Please review.
>
> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/42775/OASIS%20URIs.doc
>
> Robin, do these look OK?

Can I get away with this brief ACK, and a provisional reply?

OK, thanks...  ;-)

1. I have two other messages from you (at least) needing attention,
    and hope to make some progress this weekend

2. For "overview" in Part 0, would you consider "Overview"?

3. We have a rule about no (COMMA, HYPHEN) punctuation
preceding the element "Version" in a title.  So in all cases,
the title should be "Version 1.0" without any punctuation char
other than single SPACE preceding

4. With respect to the various "hyphen-like" characters: we
have a recent rule (not engraved in stone, but close...) that
Work Product title not include a "hyphen-like" character. We
have learned over the years that for numerous reasons, this
leads to undesirable variations in spelling, line-breaking,
loss of characters, etc.  The problem is that the character
that looks like a "hyphen" represents, for the average
reader and keyboarder, a whole range of different characters,
including:

- U+2212 minus
- U+2010 hyphen
- U+002D hyphen-minus
- U+00AD soft hyphen
- U+2011 non-breaking hyphen
- U+2043 hyphen bullet
- U+2012 figure dash
- U+2013 en dash
- U+2014 em dash
- U+2015 horizontal bar
- (and several "hyphens" in non-Latin scripts)

The document you sent
( http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/42775/OASIS%20URIs.doc ),
I can tell from a distance, uses at least two different characters.

Even if the TC would be consistent initially, it will be a short
time before the Net is littered with different "hyphen-looking"
characters, with regular trouble in browser renderings, spell
checking, indexing/searching, and so forth.

Let's talk more next week on the URIs and titles.

But one simple fix (per above) would be (e.g)

searchRetrieve Part 1.  Abstract Protocol Definition Version 1.0     /* OR */

--
Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services