Subject: Re: July 20 SWS Documents

Re: "seven of the eight documents (waiting on overview from Matthew)..." [1]

I looked over the documents (including the earlier draft of Part 0), and
they seem fairly mature, modulo the comments below.

1. The titles look like they have settled down to what was agreed:

searchRetrieve: Part 0. Overview Version 1.0
searchRetrieve: Part 1. Abstract Protocol Definition Version 1.0
searchRetrieve: Part 2. searchRetrieve Operation: APD Binding for SRU
1.2 Version 1.0
searchRetrieve: Part 3. searchRetrieve Operation: APD Binding for SRU
2.0 Version 1.0
searchRetrieve: Part 4. APD Binding for OpenSearch Version 1.0
searchRetrieve: Part 5. CQL: The Contextual Query Language Version 1.0
searchRetrieve: Part 6. SRU Scan Operation Version 1.0
searchRetrieve: Part 7. SRU Explain Operation Version 1.0

2. I noted also on the cover pages, displayed above the titles:

Search Web Services Technical Committee
Search Web Services Technical Committee
Search Web Services
Search Web Services
Search Web Services
Search Web Services
Search Web Services
Search Web Services

These identifiers are not part of the template model, and the TC name
will be presented following the Spec URIs.

3.  I scanned the documents, but did not make complete inspection, so you
should ensure that all the required structural elements are present in each
of the 8x prose documents.   That is.. all elements other than the four
discussed which may be omitted from Parts 1-7, if you so choose

Required Elements in the Prose Spec documents

   - OASIS logo
   - Title
   - Stage
   - Date
   - Spec URIs
   - TC Name
   - Chairs
   - Editors
   - Related Work [negotiate in part with the TC]
   - Declared XML Namespaces [TC Admin will add/verify these]
   - Abstract [from the TC]
   - Status
   - Citation Format Block
   - Notices
      /* TC Admin responsible for content above here (minus Abstract)
= cover page * /
      /* TC responsible for balloted content below here * /
   - Table of Contents [TC should generate]
   - Introduction
      - Terminology (required)
      - Normative References
      - Non-Normative References
   - Other Sections and Sub-Sections
   - Conformance Section
   - Appendices
      - A. Acknowledgements
      - B. Other e.g., Non-Normative Material
      - C. Revision History

So, we'll need to have clarity about:

   - Related Work [negotiate in part with TC]
   - Abstract [from the TC]
   - Declared XML Namespaces [TC Admin will add/verify these]

Optionally, it's only necessary that Part 0 (Overview) present the
following.  It would be a good idea to include sections for
References in the other seven (7) parts, but one paragraph
citing Part 0 would suffice.  Thus, at your option, required
only in Part 0:

- A. Acknowledgements
- Normative References
- Non-Normative References
- Declared XML Namespaces

4.  The cover page itself (everything preceding the Table of Contents)
is the responsibility of TC Administration, so we will ensure that the
cover page is correct.  We may ask further about Related Work
candidates, and verify the correctness of URIs presented as
Declared XML Namespaces.

5. I noted that some of the cover page Specification URIs have anomalies in the
encoded hyperlinks, and that we will need to make sure there's agreement
about case; for example: sru/SRU. You can choose upper, lower, or mixed
case.  TC Admin will ensure that the cover page URIs are correctly
represented on the cover pages, but the TC needs to take responsibility
for link correctness in the Table of Contents and in all content after
that point.

Example of "case" (need uniformity)

http://docs.oasis-open.org/search-ws/searchRetrieve/v1.0/csd01/part2-sru1.2/searchRetrieve-v1.0-csd01-part2-sru1.2.html
http://docs.oasis-open.org/search-ws/searchRetrieve/v1.0/csd01/part2-SRU1.2/searchRetrieve-v1.0-csd01-part2-SRU1.2.html

6. Part 0 will be especially important to get right, so someone should post
a proposed draft of that for my inspection when it's available.  Based upon
earlier conversations and contributed material, we are expecting the
schemas to be something about like this,

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/search-ws/201106/msg00022.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/search-ws/201106/doc00000.doc
ACK: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/search-ws/201106/msg00023.html
Fol: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/search-ws/201106/msg00024.html
 = [bad from MHonArc] filename == Schemas.doc
- schema pointers, take out of the individual specs, list them
  once in the overview document

Details:
A. Schemas (Non normative)
This Annex lists the XML schemas referenced within the standard.
A.1 Content Type Application/sru+xml
The XML Schema for content type Application/sru+xml can be found at
http://docs.oasis-open.org/search-ws/searchRetrieve/v1.0/csd01/schemas/sruResponse.xsd
A.2 XML Schema for Diagnostics
The default XML Schema for diagnostics can be found at:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/search-ws/searchRetrieve/v1.0/csd01/schemas/diagnostic.xsd
A.3 Faceted Results
A.3.1 XML Schema for Faceted Results
The XML Schema for faceted results can be found at
http://docs.oasis-open.org/search-ws/searchRetrieve/v1.0/csd01/schemas/facetedResults.xsd
A.3.2 XML Example Instance for Faceted Results
An XML example instance for faceted results can be found at
http://docs.oasis-open.org/search-ws/searchRetrieve/v1.0/csd01/schemas/facetedResults.xml
A.4 Search Result Analysis
A.4.1 XML Schema for Search Result Analysis
The XML Schema for search result analysis can be found at
http://docs.oasis-open.org/search-ws/searchRetrieve/v1.0/csd01/schemas/searchResultAnalysis.xsd

A.4.2 XML Example Instance for Search Result Analysis
An XML example instance for search result analysis can be found at
http://docs.oasis-open.org/search-ws/searchRetrieve/v1.0/csd01/schemas/searchResultAnalysis.xml
A.5 SOAP Support
A.5.1 WSDL
WSDL for SOAP support can be found at:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/search-ws/searchRetrieve/v1.0/csd01/schemas/sru-wsdl11.wsdl
A.5.2 Request Schema
The SRU request schema associated with the WSDL can be found at:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/search-ws/searchRetrieve/v1.0/csd01/schemas/sruRequest.xsd

Best wishes,

- Robin

Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
Email: robin@oasis-open.org
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/people/staff/robin-cover
Cover Pages: http://xml.coverpages.org/
Newsletter: http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletterArchive.html
Tel: +1 972-296-1783

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/search-ws/201107/msg00018.html

"Robin - Here are seven of the eight documents (waiting on overview from
Matthew).  They are all normalized according to the naming schemes
we came up with. So they are ready to go..."