Subject: RE: [search-ws] Unicode and whitespace

I'd have said that CQL was characterset neutral.  I guess we should ask
the questioner what they mean by "Unicode compliant".

I think the only whitespace characters that make any sense in CQL are
the space and tab characters.  The other whitespace characters,
form-feed, new-line, carriage-return and vertical-tab don't seem
sensible to me in a CQL query, but I don't know how else to interpret
them, if they did appear, other than as whitespace.

Ralph

-----Original Message-----
From: search-ws@lists.oasis-open.org
[mailto:search-ws@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Denenberg, Ray
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 2:22 PM
To: 'OASIS SWS TC'
Subject: [search-ws] Unicode and whitespace

TC members-

On the recent Public Review, whose period has ended, there were three
comments. I have responded to all three.

I responded on my own so at this point those responses represent my
personal view rather than official positions of the TC, but they were
all fairly straightforward (except one; see below). Still, if you have
anything to add, or wish to take issue with anything I said, please do
so.

However on one comment I did not fully respond. The question was "is CQL
Unicode compliant?" I would like suggestions on how to respond to that
question. We never considered it, and I am not even sure it is a
meaningful question for CQL.

And there was the related question "what is considered to be
whitespace?" To which I responded "one or more consecutive whitespace
characters". Which might be a useful answer or it may simply sidestep
the question if the intent was to ask what the whitespace characters
are. So, I ask for your opinions on this: is my response sufficient, or
do we need to specify what the whitespace characters are; I hope not,
but if so, what are they?

Thanks.