security-bindings message

Subject: RE: profile/registration and binding-assertions-into-protocols

Jeff,

I am comfortable with this direction tho' I am not
sure we can deal with the volume of cited material
today. My guess is that
it will take me some time to digest these references,
which I plan to do.

I have a few hours available this morning; I will write
up some text as a starting point and send it over to
you at noon EST. You can take it from there. If you can turn
the materials around late Friday, I can make another pass
before sending it out Friday night.

- prateek

aming-directory_ldap.1.0.en

In terms of binding-assertions-into-protocols, SASL provides an example of a
general framework for "binding" authentication information into protocols,
yielding a notion of "session". LDAPv3 provides an example of a protocol
that
makes use of SASL, and also of TLS/SSL. Language describing from LDAPv3's
perspective what it takes to make use of SASL and TLS/SSL is in RFCs 2829
and
2830. For BEEP's perspective, see section 4 of
draft-ietf-beep-framework-11.txt.

I think it's reasonable, given the stage we're at, to extract overall ideas,
techniques, and language from the above (I'll also look at SOAP, ebXML, etc
as
IIRC they have similar aspects), as well as the pertinent sections of
S2MLv0.8a
& AuthXML-2000-11-22 in order to get this stuff started.

Thoughts?

JeffH