security-bindings message

Subject: BEEP being discussed on the XML Protocol list (xml-dist-app@w3.org)

fyi, the below msg went out on the xml-dist-app@w3.org list (which is for design
discussions of XML Protocol, aka XP, of which SOAP is the prominent input).

There's 26 msgs in my archive of the xml-dist-app list mentioning SOAP,
beginning in 1-Dec-2000 and going thru yesterday.

I haven't yet read that thread(s) in detail, so I can't attest to what degree or
in what sense "they've started looking at BEEP as an alternative transport."

fwiw,

JeffH

I've heard that the SOAP working group has found limitations in HTTP,
particularly so far as peer-to-peer applications go, and that they've
started looking at BEEP as an alternative transport. This subject would be
of great interest to the readers of the O'Reilly P2P web site
(http://openp2p.com) and I'm hoping to find someone who can write a brief
article about this research.

I contacted Noah Mendelsohn, who suggested I post to this list. I know
you're just at the early stages of exploring BEEP. Still, it may be a good
time to write about why you're interested in BEEP. While such an article
would obviously be good for the promoters of BEEP, it would also educate
readers about the goals of SOAP and how you are getting it to work. There's
a small payment involved too, although I don't know the details because I am
not the Web master. (I'm a mere book editor).

Please contact me if this writing project interests you. In fact, I'd like
to hear more about it if you have something interesting to say--even if you
don't want to write an article.

Andy Oram  O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.        email: andyo@oreilly.com
Editor     90 Sherman Street                     voice: (617) 499-7479
           Cambridge, MA 02140-3233                fax: (617) 661-1116
           USA                          http://www.oreilly.com/~andyo/
Stories at Web site:
The Bug in the Seven Modules     Code the Obscure     The Disconnected