security-bindings message

Subject: RE: Is an authentication assertion mandatory in SAML?

Prateek

You're right; I just phased out.

In the request, you can pass an AttributeQuery with a saml:Subject
providing just the subject's name,
and using "bearer" (i.e. null) SubjectConfirmation (even if we don't move
SubjectConfirmation out of the
Subject element), and this has the effect of query by name.  The reply can
then provide an attribute
assertion with a "bearer" SubjectConfirmation (thus requiring no link
whatsoever to the user) -- and it
can fill in the subject field of that assertion with a null subject name,
hence an anonymous subject.

It works!  Sorry for the lapse.

--bob

Bob Blakley (email: blakley@us.tivoli.com   phone: +1 512 436 1564)
Chief Scientist, Security and Privacy, Tivoli Systems, Inc.

"Mishra, Prateek" <pmishra@netegrity.com> on 09/04/2001 02:04:05 PM

Please respond to "Mishra, Prateek" <pmishra@netegrity.com>

To:   George Robert Blakley III/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, Hal Lockhart
      <hal.lockhart@entegrity.com>
cc:   "'Tim Moses'" <tim.moses@entrust.com>, Marlena
      Erdos/Austin/Contr/IBM@IBMUS, "'Oasis security services bindings'"
      <security-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org>

Bob,

The existing AttributeQuery element requires at a minimum only
a <saml:Subject> element (there is also some fuss about a completeness
specifier which I will ignore). The <Response> includes one or more
attributes assertions describing the subject.

As I understand your message, this is precisely the flow you
are referring to. It is not a "new" flow, it is part of core-16.

- prateek