security-bindings message

Subject: RE: Subject: PartnerID revisited

Here are my responses

1 - agree
2 - agree
3 - agree provisionally.  Are there more requirements, like that the
partner ID URL should be "unique-ish" -- i.e.
     not duplicated or an alias for something else used for another purpose
etc...?  And what does
     "drawn from a namespace...." mean exactly?  Does it mean "the base URL
for the site must be
     a prefix of the Partner ID URL"?  If so, that's what we should say, so
that interpretations don't differ.
4 - ooohhh... don't know:

     Type Code 0x0001 is OK
     Partner ID = SHA-1 hash of partner URL is NOT OK, unless:
               namespaces from which partner URLs are drawn have distinct
roots, so that
               attackers can't induce collisions (i.e. if the meaning of
"drawn from a namespace..."
               is as I speculate in response to #3, AND if the base URL for
the site always begins
               with an administered DNS name, then we're OK as long as no
one can spoof DNS.
               Otherwise, we're in trouble...)
     Exact format of assertion handle is of course very important and I owe
further dialog with Prateek on
               this.
5 - agree "sort of" with RLBob's concern.

     I believe that Partner ID in fact SHOULD be strictly specified
(because otherwise we can't guarantee
               proof against ID spoofing via inducing collisions).
     However, I believe that we should NOT strictly specify the assertion
handle format (since it's always
               consumed by the same implementation which produces it,
specifying it strictly is
               an improper imposition on the freedom of implementors.)
However I think we SHOULD
               include a format which we believe to be resistant to the
attacks we think will occur,
               and we SHOULD recommend this format (i.e. we SHOULD use
SHOULD to
               encourage implementors to use our format, but we SHOULD NOT
use MUST
               to require them to do so).

--bob

Bob Blakley (email: blakley@us.tivoli.com   phone: +1 512 436 1564)
Chief Scientist, Security and Privacy, Tivoli Systems, Inc.

Simon Godik <sgodik@crosslogix.com> on 09/26/2001 12:06:01 PM

Please respond to Simon Godik <sgodik@crosslogix.com>