security-bindings message

Subject: [security-bindings] FW: comments on draft-dsig-02

-----Original Message-----
From: Mishra, Prateek
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 4:25 PM
To: 'Krishna Sankar'; ''security-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org'
Subject: comments on draft-dsig-02

Hi Krishna,

I presented your draft at the F2F in San Francisco. Your efforts
in putting together the draft were much appreciated by the
attendees. We worked thru the draft at a good level of detail
generating comments which are attached below:

98-99, 103-104
should mention the fact that message integrity of assertions must be
guaranteed by some means (in addition to obtaining XML from an
authenticated "originator")

178, 183
remove the word "mandatory" --- the signature should apply to all elements

163
replace "Context" by "Rationale"

185
replace "Proposal" by "Rules for SAML Signature Inheritance"

186-190
This needs to be changed to normative language. I think the best way
would be to define the inheritance concept:

Signature inheritance: occurs when SAML message (assertion/request/response)
is not signed but is enclosed within signed SAMLsuch that the signature
applies (better word?) to all of the elements within the message. In such a
case, the SAML message is said to inherit
the signature and may be considered equivalent to the case where it is
explicitly signed.

Do we need consideration "closest enclosing signature" here?

Remove term "SAML domain"

210-211
There were several concerns here. First, [Sig] has Canonical XML
with no comments as mandatory to implement. So the suggestion
is that we should only say:

"SAML implementations SHOULD use Canonical XML with no comments".

This helps with inter-op as we are strongly pointing to a
mandatory-to-implement
feature.

203
replace "should use" by MUST

220

This should be simplified and should just say: SAML does not impose any
restrictions
in this area. Therefore, following [sig] KeyInfo may be absent.

221
(continued)
Signers SHOULD use RSA (this needs some detangling). RSA is not
mandatory-to-implement in [sig] but in practice will definitely be
implemented.

5.6 (beging at line 224)
Replace detailed text by:

Use of signing does not affect semantics of statements within assertions
in any way, as stated in Section XX of Core.