security-conform message

Subject: Re: notes from F2F on conformance

FWIW, here are the potential "levels"/"layers" of conformance that I heard
mentioned at the F2F (I hope to compile the minutes and publish them soon,
which should help matters!):

Idea #1 for layering: A software component might serve as only one of our
types of authorities (e.g., a PDP), and it might be said to conform as a
"SAML PDP" because it accepts certain things as input and produces certain
things as output.  We wouldn't want to force every SAML-using system into
supplying all the types of system entities.

Idea #2 for layering (as you mention below): As long as the type(s) of
binding supported are documented/declared, an implementation could be said
to be compliant with that SAML binding.  There was also talk of designating
one or more "must-have" bindings, to increase interoperability.

Idea #3 for layering (I think this came from Dave Orchard): There might be
some sense in which software could conform to our assertions (e.g., use
just that inner schema without higher XML or binding-related structures),
without needing to conform to "higher" layers of our spec.  Perhaps he can
elaborate here (I've copied him because I'm not sure if he's on this list).

I think it's pretty clear that people want as few conformance types as is
practicable, but of course that's somewhat subjective...

         Eve

--
Eve Maler                                             +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Development  eve.maler @ east.sun.com