security-conform message

Subject: RE: fyi - Krishna's cut at charter of subgroup from January...

Title: Subcommittee Questions
Bob,

On a minor note, the charter says S2ML, not SAML.

The main thing I see missing in the charter and the concall discussion is  the need to act as a point of coordination for testing preliminary implementations against each other. We are preparing to begin protyping SAML soon. We assume others are also and would like to test informally against other implementations at an early stage. Experience has shown that doing this kind of work before the spec is complete leads to a better spec both by uncovering design flaws and identifying ambiguous language.

I see mention of a "reference" or "open source" implementation. This should not be a substitute for an unambiguous specification. While the idea has merit for defining conformance and accelerating adoption, typically such things are written in portable C. As vendor of a Java-based product we will likely focus our resources on developing code we can integrate into our product.

Hal
-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Griffin [mailto:Robert.Griffin@entrust.com]
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 1:35 PM
To: 'ksankar@cisco.com'; 'eve.maler@east.sun.com'; 'myers@coastside.net'; 'MChanliau@netegrity.com'; 'tony@vordel.com'; 'charles.j.norwood@saic.com'
Cc: 'security-conform@lists.oasis-open.org'

-----Original Message-----
From: Krishna Sankar [mailto:ksankar@cisco.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2001 1:56 AM
To: security-services@lists.oasis-open.org; Ken Yagen
Cc: Eve L. Maler
Subject: RE: Subcommittee Questions

Hi all,

    Here is the synopsis (very very .. .. .. preliminary) for the conformance sub-committee. Please take a look at it and suggest changes/additions et al. I have turned on the "track-changes" option. So feel free to make changes in the document and send it to me.

    And more importantly, if you want to participate, please send me/the list an e-mail. We should meet ("virtually") at least once before the f2f and decide on our presentation. I will set up the con call phone number et al, soon.

    Eve, I think we should have a short sub-group "bio" for all the sub-groups. Also, can we ratify this (preliminary) sub-group charter during our next con call ?

    cheers