security-conform message

Subject: [security-conform] discussion of conformance clause

Title: discussion of conformance clause

-----Original Message-----
From: Krishna Sankar [mailto:ksankar@cisco.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2001 8:38 PM
To: Eve L. Maler; Robert Griffin
Cc: 'jacques'; Robert Griffin; security-conform@lists.oasis-open.org;
lynne.rosenthal@nist.gov; mark.skall@nist.gov
Subject: RE: [security-conform] RE: Conformance Clause samples?

Hi,

        Couple of quick answers :

 | - I don't think we should get into describing the certification option
 | until such time as someone signs up to actually do certification.  We're
 | not committed to this ourselves, are we?

<KS>
        Nope. Certification Authority is outside OASIS's charter, as I know of it,
couple of months ago. I think it pertains to legal/liability issues than
anything else.
</KS>
 | - I think we can't use "profile" for partition.  Partition is
 | okay, but if the list of "things" you can be contains only authority
types, maybe we
 | should just call it that.
<KS>
        I like authority types better than Partition. Profile is the best word, but
we deferred it to the bindings group :o(
</KS>

 | - On the subject of authority types, if a system "produces" SAML
 | requests, does it have a name?  Does that name need to be listed as a
"partition"
 | option?  In other words, does producer/consumer only refer to
 | assertions, or are requests and responses covered as well?
<KS>
        Consumer includes the request as well. But I think it would be a good idea
to state that. Will do.
</KS>

 | - Is an authorization authority the same thing as a PDP?

<KS>
        Yep. The authorities need to be rationalized with the current spec.
</KS>
 | - We haven't normatively defined session authorities yet, have we?

<KS>
        Nope.
</KS>
 | - Why do the matrices actually have "y" filled out in them?  The
 | conformance of a particular system would have a pattern of "y"
 | and "n", right?

<KS>
        Yep. The matrix would be filled in by the potential vendor, with Y or N as
supported by their implementation.
</KS>
 | - What if you just use SAML assertions in a particular profile with some
 | request/response protocol of your own devise, i.e. without using
 | the SAML
 | request/response structure?  Is this covered somehow in the
 | matrices?  (Oh,
 | wait.  Is this the same as Section 2 item #1?)

<KS>
        Yep. But this is still a question. The producer and consumer has to do
request or response as specified by the bindings. (We need to think thru on
this.)
</KS>
 | - Sections 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 are excellent stuff.  Note that many of the
 | occurrences of "can" probably want to be "may".

<KS>
        Can you help us with the "CAN"s and "MAY"s ?
</KS>
 | - Regarding Section 2 item #3, I think the granularity should be at the
 | partition level if we can manage it.

<KS>
        yep.
</KS>
 | If I'm poking at the right kinds of things, I'd be happy to try
 | to sketch some wording to match them.

<KS>
        Good. Would appreciate any and all words.
</KS>