security-core message

Subject: Re: Interim requirements II!

Hi Bob,

I meant the latter (verification of presence), but would also agree that
the former should be considered. If we wanted we could generalise these
to e.g. "authorization based on [X]", where X is:

	- freshness of user authentication
	- type of authentication mechanism
	- physical location
	- network location
	- toe smell (I didn't make that up, look at ECMA TR/46 if
          you can get a copy:-)
	- ...

Could go on, so I guess we need to prune these at some point. It
might be enough for the core assertions work, just to be able to
indicate "based on [X]" where [X] is one of the above.

Stephen.

George_Robert_Blakley_III@tivoli.com wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> >[R-ReAuth] Ability for server to signal that re-authenticaiton is
> >required where you'd normally expect an authorization decision.
> >
> >I didn't phrase that too well, but I guess folks'll recognize the
> >issue.
>
> Let me test your theory that folks will recognize the issue.
>
> We discuss a requirement with our customers which may or may not be the
> same as this.
> We call it either "step-up authentication" or "authorization based on
> strength of authentication".
> The idea is that the authorization rules state that in order to be granted
> access to a resource,
> the requester must authenticate using a particular mechanism, which is
> normally viewed as
> "extra strong" or "strong enough for purposes of this specific access".
>
> We also discuss another requirement which is at least related to this.  I
> don't think we have
> a name for it, so I'll make one up: "verification of presence".  This
> requirement says that
> in order to perform some action the requester must re-authenticate (perhaps
> using the same
> mechanism as initial authentication) in order to verify that he or she
> hasn't walked away
> and abandoned a session which has subsequently been "adopted" by somebody
> else.
> People familiar with ATM machine security will recognize this one.
>
> Is either of these what you mean?  Are both?
>
> --bob
>
> Bob Blakley
> Chief Scientist, Security
> Tivoli Systems, Inc.

Stephen Farrell
Baltimore Technologies,   tel: (direct line) +353 1 881 6716
39 Parkgate Street,                     fax: +353 1 881 7000
Dublin 8.                mailto:stephen.farrell@baltimore.ie
Ireland                             http://www.baltimore.com