security-core message

Subject: RE: Telcon Thursday (tommorow)

Title: RE: Telcon Thursday (tommorow)

Colleagues - Unfortunately, I will also be unable to participate today.  However, let me make the following suggestion.  Why don't those who call in take up the following two topics and try to arrive at consensus:

1. We should adopt a single data structure for all three types of assertion (name, entitlement and session).  The type of the assertion payload field should indicate the type of the attribute of the Principal/Subject (name, entitlement or session status) carried by the assertion.

2. We should adopt either the three-corner communication model (described in Phill's submission) or the four-corner model described in the Protocols section.  The three corner model combines the Issuer/Authority and the PDP.  I contend that business models such as Identrus favour a four-corner model in which the PEP (relying subscriber) receives a "decision" created afresh by its service provider (PDP), not merely passed straight through from the Principal's Authority/Issuer.  (Of course, it is wildly unfair that Phill won't be given the chance to present his point of view.  But, I don't suppose we will really dispose of this issue today.  Nevertheless, the discussion will serve to cause everyone to think about the issue and facilitate a decision when we next talk).

Hopefully, someone will volunteer to record the outcome and distribute it to the list.

Best regards.  Tim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Hallam-Baker [mailto:pbaker@verisign.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2001 3:13 PM
To: 'Security-Core (E-mail)
Subject: Telcon Thursday (tommorow)

The call in number is 1-816-650-0741
The chair is Phillip Hallam-Baker
Confirmation number is 8430371

Thursday 15th March 12:00pm EST (17:00 GMT, 09:00 PST).

Unfortunately I cannot make the call due to a longstanding prior engagement
I made before we set up the regular call schedule. It is possible that
someone will need to impersonate me to start the meeting.

Given that we now have the Protocols people joining us, we may want to go
through the scheduling process again (however the same constraints are
likely to apply, West coast US + UK, not Tuesday (plenary, leaders), not
Wednesday (use case) and probably not Monday (too early in the week) and
certainly not Friday (5pm in Ireland is Guiness time).

        Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker
Principal Scientist
VeriSign Inc.