security-core message

Subject: RE: Requirement for Isolated Request for Authorization Atributes

One thing I am confused on, which is probably due to having learnt the
nomenclature in a different environment is what people are defining as a
role.

We are talking about an 'administrator role'

Is this
1) An attribute that is attached to Alice, so Alice has admin privillege and
can access the admin type objects. Bob and doug also have that privillege.

2) An attribute attached to a specialization of the Alice account, a role
that Alice can enable and disable.

We appear to be talking about (1), I think that (2) also needs to be
considered.

Where it becomes important is when it is attached to applications, since it
is not Alice that is doing diddly squat, Alice is accessing the file in the
same sense that the Pharohes built pyramids and Hadrian built walls.

Specifically I want to be able to configure my email address book web
service so that I am authorized to read it, however when my email program
spawns off an application (from a virus) that application should not be
authorized to read the address book, initiate messages, delete files etc.

I think this comes into the definition of the subject [aka the Principal].
At the moment we have a structure of the form:

<Subject>
   <Account>Alice</Account>
   <ds:KeyInfo> </ds:keyinfo>

So we can identify Alice by either the account name (possibly a URI), or by
the crypto credentials by which she is to be identified (password, public
key etc.).

I would like to add in an attribute to express the concept of an active
role:

<Subject>
   <Account>Alice</Account>
   <Role>urn:dns-date:the-administrator-role-urn</Role>

Although I gave an example from email virus stuff I think that the concept
would transfer to business very directly. Say Alice was a manager with a $12
million signing authority. She might not want to activate that authority to
the full extent each day she logged in, just in case one of the employees
came by and ordered a Learjet when she left her terminal unattended, on the
other hand she might not be that paranoid about people ordering paperclips
from Staples.

When I used to manage VMS systems you would often see folk with multiple
accounts, HALLAM & SYS_HALLAM for the user mode and system administrator
mode. This works but it is clunky, it is very easy to end up editing normal
files and finding you have to log into your system account to read them. The
UNIX SU concept is better in this regard, but nowhere near fine grained
enough (peon mode or armed with tactical nuclear device mode, take yer
pick).

Finally in discussions with Tim two different 'identity' issues came up:

1) How is the subject of the assertion to be authenticated?
	By holdership of the assertion - has been authenticated already
	By specified credentials
	By unspecified credentials

2) What identity is the transaction logged to / charged to etc?
	I.e. the account name

		Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker
Principal Scientist