security-jc message

Subject: Re: [security-jc] Security Forum program semi-final program

Darran Rolls wrote:

> It does make sense if the focus is on explaining WS-Security only.  My
> understanding was the program addressed security standards initiatives
> within OASIS and W3C, how they fit together and inter-relate.  If the
> focus has shifted to one of explaining these relationships relative to
> WS-Security alone, I agree with the analysis.

I agree, too. And I think that Hal's comment on the primary
importance of the OASIS/W3C relationship is key. That goal
has been met. We can declare victory. But the event focus
must no longer be on OASIS security standards, how they all
fit together, the overlaps and the disconnects.

That's fine. But I think that this turn of focus diminishes
the events relevance as an SJC topic. Seems to me that it is
now more appropriately a WSS topic, or perhaps it belongs in
the TAB or someplace else. I see nothing much here for the
SJC to do.

> I know this is effort has a short window.  I also understand

> that we

can't do everything in a single day.  I do however
feel rather strongly that if this event represents a discussion
model for "security standards", it should at least include a
complete list of those standards with a short description or each
(if nothing else).

Hmmm. I don't know. I can see the benefit of the exposure.
But there's no one on the program that I would want to
rely on to speak accurately about the security technology
XCBF is using. It may be a blessing for XCBF to be omitted.

> As a secondary assessment from this decision, should the SJC consider
> directing all OASIS security initiatives to  explain their relevance to
> and relationship with WS-Security (not incidentally a bad thing)?

That's the rub Darran. The SJC doesn't direct or dictate.
Thankfully, it has no power to do so. But the SJC does
have the power to foster cooperation.

And I do agree that it could be beneficial for someone to
collect such information. It could be the SJC I guess. But
I'd rather see a pull from the WSS here than a push from
the SJC.

Perhaps the SJC could just suggest to the WSS TC that they
might want to ask the other TCs this question and possibly
to consider in their plans what the other TCs believe are
their interests in this area.

Doing this might lead to some illumination, foster a sense
of cooperation between the TCs, change perspectives and
lead to greater buy in for the WSS work. Constructive
engagement is the ticket.

(Writing this just made me recall the Bob Silverman joke
on an old adage, "You can lead an ass to knowledge, but
you can't make him think." :-)

Phil