security-jc message

Subject: RE: [security-jc] adding WSS to the JC

Darran & Karl,

I think it makes perfect sense to proceed this way, but I also think that
clause (o) should be cleaned up. In particular, the text says:

>>Membership in a JC after its first meeting shall be governed by the same
rules governing membership in a TC, with the added requirement that any
prospective member of a JC must first be a member of a liaison subcommittee
appointed for this purpose by one of the *cooperating TCs*.

Members come from the *cooperating TCs* which are identified earlier as
being the list of TCs that formed the JC. I see nowhere in the text how a
new TC is admitted to the JC.

Secondly, Darran states that when a TC drops out of the JC it does not cause
the JC to collapse. However the text of clause (o) clearly states:

>>If a still-existing TC in breach of its obligation to contribute to a JC
fails to appoint a liaison subcommittee within the time stated, then all
activities and mailing lists of that JC shall cease until its successor, if
any, can be organized according to the provisions for starting a JC.

There are no provisions in clause (o) for a "still existing" TC to be
removed from the JC. Failure to participate by a member TC is clearly
spelled out - and the TC has a time limit within which it must repair its
participation. If it does not (and presumably one who wishes to drop out
will not), the JC is dissolved.

I suspect that this was simply not completely thought out - so the right
action is to clarify the text of clause (o) so that it is in line with a
more flexible mechanism for TCs to join and exit JCs.

I do not, however, believe that any and all TCs should be eligible to join a
JC.

- joe