security-leaders message

Subject: RE: Welcome to security-leaders

since you asked for a reply,

This sounds good to me, I think we are going to have to do quite a bit of
shuffling arround of stuff since the Core assertions and use cases are
strongly connected.

Essentially I think the use cases needs to contain three separate pieces of
data, 1) use scenarios, 2) abstract requirements derrived from the use
scenarios and 3) examples of using the spec to meet the use scenarios.

It may be usefull to distinguish between abstract requirements and
constraints since a large number of constraints of the web environment can
be stated concisely as a series of facts:

* Web browsers support limited means for maintaining state between requests
	* All web browsers support encoding of state in URLs
		*the maximum limit on the length of a URL is in practice
1024 bytes.
	* Most browsers support cookies
		* the maximum size of a cookie is 4096 bytes???
		* cookies may be emphemeral, being bound to a particular
browser instance and will not be stored on disk
		* cookies may be persistent, these will be stored on disk
but users MAY delete them
		* transfer of cookies from one domain to another is subject
to constraints

* Public key cryptography is relatively slow
	* Using digital signatures for authentication is compute intensive

* Message Authentication Codes are fast but limited
	* require symetric keys to be established out of band
	* cannot support non-repudiation

* Communication restrictions may exist
	* firewalls
	* issuing server may not want to issue assertion to client directly

and so on... these can then be re-used in other specs.

Phillip Hallam-Baker
Principal Scientist
VeriSign Inc.
pbaker@verisign.com