security-services-comment message

Subject: RE: [security-services-comment] RE: SAML1.0 BAP Spec Question

Unfortunately, I would have to say there is an ambiguity in the SAML 1.0
specification which leaves the intent somewhat unclear. This ambiguity WAS
subsequently addressed in the SAML 1.1 specification.

The SAML 1.0 specification only states that:

The <saml:ConfirmationMethod> element of each assertion MUST be set to 527
urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:cm:artifact-01. 528

However, the <saml:ConfirmationMethod> element is a sub-element in the
<saml:SubjectConfirmation> element, which is itself OPTIONAL. Hence, lines
527 - 528 can also be ready as saying:

If the <saml:SubjectConfirmation> element is present, then the
<saml:ConfirmationMethod> element should be set as above.

Please note that the SAML 1.0 specification makes no reference to
<saml:ConfirmationData> etc. so it is incorrect to make any claims about its
presence or absence in the assertion.

In SAML 1.1, lines 527-528 were revised to read:

Every subject-based statement in the assertion(s) returned to the
destination site MUST contain a
<saml:SubjectConfirmation> element as follows: 552
* The <saml:ConfirmationMethod> element MUST be set to either 553
urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:cm:artifact-01 (deprecated) or
urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:cm:artifact 554
(RECOMMENDED). 555
* The <SubjectConfirmationData> element SHOULD NOT be specified. 556

It appears that at least some of the discussion below references SAML 1.1
text. While this is OK in an informal way, I would have to say it is
technically incorrect to apply SAML 1.1 text to SAML 1.0 profiles.

- prateek