security-services-comment message

Subject: RE: [security-services-comment] Schema encoding

Does anyone know the intention behind this comment? Does SAML not do this?

In any event, neither SAML nor any other of the specs profiled by WS-I are requred to comply with the WS-I profiles under all uses, only when they are deployed in a configuration which complies with a WS-I profile. SAML is used with web services as well as other environments where WS-I profiles don't apply. Even when used with web services, it is up to the deployment to decide if it should be be compliant to WS-I profiles.

In any event, since clearly the SAML schema CAN comply with this requirement, what is the issue?

Hal
-----Original Message-----
From: Agerbak, Per [mailto:per.agerbaek@capgemini.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:32 AM
To: security-services-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [security-services-comment] Schema encoding

Hi,

According to WS-I, specifically this page http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-2_0%28WGD%29.html#BP2202, an XML Schema directly or indirectly imported by a description MUST use either UTF-8 or UTF-16 encodings.

The saml-schema-assertion-2.0.xsd specifies US-ASCII hence generating an annoying warning when working with schema validators, which validates against the WS-I rules.

Per

Capgemini is a trading name used by the Capgemini Group of companies which includes Capgemini Danmark A/S, a company registered in Denmark (number 25606965) whose registered office is at Ørnegaardsvej 16 – 2820 Gentofte.