security-services-comment message

Subject: RE: SAML attributes for Kerberos

To clarify what our current implementation does.
We send the a kerberos service ticket and session key information pair from
IDP to SP as a mime encoded attribute.
On the SP side we then collect the various ticket and session key
information pairs and create a ticket file.

-Russ

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Hutzelman [mailto:jhutz@cmu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 1:20 PM
To: Josh Howlett; Thomas Hardjono
Cc: security-services-comment@lists.oasis-open.org; Russell J. Yount;
cantor.2@osu.edu; Thomas Hardjono; jhutz@cmu.edu

--On Wednesday, June 30, 2010 09:50:50 PM +0100 Josh Howlett
<josh.howlett@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30 Jun 2010, at 20:06, Thomas Hardjono wrote:
>> To answer your question, the attribute profile currently does not (as
>> yet) support the delivery of pieces of a Kerb message (eg.
>> ticket/session-key pair).
>
> /If/ I've understood the use-case correctly (n-tier, SP wanting access to
> a Kerberised service), I believe that we can address this in three ways.
> The first two are fairly obvious:
>
>   (1) create a new MessageType in the attribute schema for this payload.
>   (2) define a schema extension point to permit (1) as an extension.
>
> (These are semantically equivalent.)
>
>   (3) use the Kerberos S4U mechanisms, where the IdP obtains a ticket
> from the KDC on behalf of the SP. The SP uses the already-defined
> Kerberos Attribute Profile facilities to request the ticket from the IdP.
>
> On the basis of the information available to me, (3) is my suggested
> approach.

OK; there's a bit of confusion here, in part because I think we're talking
about two different things.  I don't have a copy of the Kerberos SSO
profile document handy at the moment, but my recollection is that this is
primarily about using Kerberos to authenticate to the IdP, and possibly
also to an SP.  That's interesting, but not the problem Russ and I are
working on.

We're specifically looking at a multi-tier system in which an SP needs
Kerberos credentials in the user's name for some backend service.  By
"credentials" here, I mean a ticket plus the information the SP needs to
use that ticket in the role of a client; most notably, the session key.
The required credentials must be forwarded to the SP by the IdP, only when
a user attempts to use the service in question and according to policy set
at the IdP.  Using S4U2Proxy at the SP is not an acceptable solution,
firstly because that would imply the SP has the authority to get tickets on
behalf of any user it wants whenever it wants, rather than only when the
user accesses the service and for the lifetime of the delegated ticket, and
secondly because it requires that both the SP's client and the KDC support
S4U, which is a Microsoft extension and _not_ a standard part of Kerberos
(or even a standardized extension).

Thus, what we're trying to do is provide a means for the IdP to forward to
an SP those credentials which the SP is authorized to have.  Whether the
IdP obtains these credentials via S4U, by being co-located with the KDC or,
as in our case, by having the user's password (and thus a TGT in the user's
name), is IMHO immaterial to the discussion at hand.  The important
question is, once the IdP has credentials, how does it forward them to the
SP?

The implementation that Russ currently has does this, as I understand it,
by means of an attribute whose contents are a ticket file, in the format
shared by MIT Kerberos and Heimdal.  This is workable as a
proof-of-concept, but not really suitable for standardization; Kerberos
does not specify the form in which cached credentials are stored, and there
exist a variety of implementations for which the "ticket file" format is
not their native credential store or which do not understand it at all.
Even those which do understand it are generally not capable of importing
tickets in that format other than by reading an actual file from the
filesystem.  IMHO we should not be requiring SP's to commit tickets to
stable storage before being able to use them (though in practice, many of
the applications we have in mind will do exactly that).

Fortunately, Kerberos does provide a standardized way of conveying
credentials from one place to another, in the form of the KRB-CRED message.
This is described in RFC4120, sections 3.6 and 5.8.  Unfortunately,
construction of a correct KRB-CRED message requires encryption of some
parts of the message, using a Kerberos enctype and a key shared by the two
parties involved; in this case, the IdP and SP.  This poses an interesting
challenge if there is not already a shared secret; for example, if the IdP
and SP are operated by different members of a federation.  However, I'm
confident we can find a solution.

-- Jeff