Subject: RE: Document Authoring Tool Woes

All,

Just to be clear,  unless I seriously misunderstood the response to the
discussion I started on the
call Friday,  the use cases & requirements subgroup has not yet made any
decision about either
what format its documents will finally be in or what tools it will use.

The interim agreement we reached, in the interests of keeping our options
open, was to use any
tool you choose, but to circulate work products in the following formats:

     text:

          Format: HTML or RTF
          Rules:    use only "body",  "heading level 1", and "heading level
2" tags (for now)

               I'd like to propose amending this by allowing you to also
use bulleted
               and numbered lists, if that's OK

     figures:

          Format: .ppt or JPEG

We did agree that the output format we'll use, whatever tools and source
formats are chosen, will
be Adobe Acrobat .pdf.

We *discussed* but *did not* decide for sure on the use of XML as the
format for the final document.
I'm still investigating tool support for this.

As I said on the call, my criteria are:

     Whatever tools and format we choose must be able to support the
following:

          numbering (at least of paragraphs; preferably of lines also, for
reference when reviewing)
          revision marks
          imbedded figures

--bob