Subject: Guidance and Rationale

On the Use Cases and Requirements working group concall this morning we came
up with a couple of issues that we thought we should open up to the TC at
large for discussion.   Both issues are about adding new sections or content
to the specification.  I will try to represent what was discussed, but I'm
sure I'll miss some of it ...

1. Rationale.  It was thought on the call that a section for rationale would
be useful to people who review and/or implement our standard.  It was
pointed out how Bruce Schneier recently criticized the IPSEC specification
for not explaining why certain decisions were made.  It was also pointed out
that the TC has limited bandwidth and writing up rationales may not be the
most expedient use of our time.  Perhaps it would be useful to explain the
rationale for only a few key areas.

2. Guidance.  It was thought that this may be a solution for requirements
which are not made part of our specification.  There may be some
requirements which do not make it into the spec, for example R-Disclosure,
that we would like to make sure are not made impossible by the
specification.  In the example of R-Disclosure, we may not make it a
requirement that all implementations only disclose the attributes about a
user which the user has given them permission to disclose.  We do, however,
want this type of functionality possible in a given implementation.  The
guidance section would describe how such requirements could be implemented
'on top of' SAML.

Regards,

Darren

Darren Platt