Subject: RE: Minutes of 3 April 2001 Security Services TC telecon

Simon Blackwell wrote,
> (BTW, it is my opinion that there are at least
> two entities in
> a primary PDP, a policy store and a policy interpretation
> engine. If others
> agree, then we need to decide who should look at this issue
> the SAML group
> or the XACML group and should the distinction be made clear
> in SAML scope
> diagram).

The producer/consumer diagram shows that the Authorities and PDP all have
policy stores. (A little database cylinder labeled policy.) Since these
components act "behind the scenes" and do not directly interact with SAML
constructs, I did not consider it desirable to further elaborate these. In
my opinion, SAML should treat policy evaluation by any of these entities as
a black box.

The IETF (and I presume ISO) model actually calls out a Policy
Administration Point (PAP) in addition to the PDP and PEP. This is an entity
that can view and modify this policy store. It seemed unnecessary to reflect
this concept in the SAML domain model, as no one has proposed SAML include a
policy provisioning protocol.

Hal