Subject: RE: Resource sets and resource string semantics

At 12:23 PM 5/4/01 -0700, Philip Hallam-Baker wrote:

>All resources on the HP web site ???
>
>How about http://www.hp.com/*
>
>or if we want to avoid any possibility of collision (although * is a
>reserved URI character):
>
>http://www.hp.com/ *
>
>Or we could use an XPATH statement - maybe Eve can fill us in???

XPath operates on an XML document.  So unless you have some kind of
XML-encoded configuration file that specifies all the resources available
on the HPT website, I don't think it will work.

A domain name is a bit of a special case, in that you can know the domain
name through which a resource was accessed, and so perhaps we can encode
the semantic "everything retrievable from domain hp.com".  But encoding
"everything retrievable from domain hp.com in the path /foo/bar" is
trickier than it seems.  At a superficial level it could work with the
http: scheme and with some other schemes that have obvious syntactic
partioning, but deep equivalency will be impossible to measure in the
general case (soft links, redirects, case independence, implicitly accessed
resources such as index.html...) and there are other schemes, such as
mailto:, where this breaks down.  (Though mailto: is kind of atomic, and so
perhaps not a worry.)

>The way I would see the conversation going is:
>
>PEP: Can Alice access http://www.hp.com/finance/fred.xls
>PDP: Yes, and Alice can access http://www.hp.com/*
>
>PEP: Can Alice access http://www.hp.com/finance/mary.xls
>PEP-Cache: Yes
>
>I don't like the idea of unconstrained wildcard matching etc. However simple
>hierarchical partitioning is probably enough for what we need. After all the
>admin will probably organize directories so that the wildcards match
>cleanly.
>
>Note that another possibility is that the PEP is not a file system. If the
>access control policy or permissions/whathaveyou are embedded in the
>resource the PEP may be asking a question of the form 'Does Alice have the
>Role X' or 'Does Alice have any resources in the set ..../*'

         Eve
--
Eve Maler                                             +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Development  eve.maler @ east.sun.com