Subject: RE: Resource sets and resource string semantics

At 01:06 PM 5/11/01 -0700, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>         In the case that the authorization needs to go down to the element
>level etc., I would see that as a matter for XPATH and XPOINTER (whatever).
>
>         In fact looking at some of the dot.net stuff the boundary between
>the document and contents can become blurred. One could specify an
>individual element within the document:
>
>http:\\...\document.html\Body\H1 (or some such)
>
>         Provided the issuer and relying party both agree on what the
>interpretation of the URI should be we get interoperability.

Good point about addressing inside XML unambiguously.  Here's an accurate
example, using the "child sequence shorthand" form of XPointer that counts
child elements:

   http://www.example.com/document.xhtml#/1/2/6

The whole thing together is known as a "URI reference."  The URI portion,
http://www.example.com/document.xml, directs you to a particular Web
resource (let's assume that it is in XHTML form and being served as
text/xml).  The fragment identifier on the end, #/1/2/6, uses XPointer to
direct you to the root element's (<html>) second child element's (<body>,
because <head> is elder), sixth child element (presuming it's the sixth
<h1> we want, and the <h1> is directly inside the <body> element).

In Internet architecture, fragment identifier languages are bound to media
types.  The plan is to have the IETF bind XPointer to text/xml and
application/xml, along with two other XML-related media types, when it's
finished being standardized.

Thus, when XPointer is registered as being bound to XML media types, it
will be completely precise to point inside an XML document.

         Eve
--
Eve Maler                                             +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Development  eve.maler @ east.sun.com