Subject: How is initial authentication of a user done within SAML

Hi all,

reading my way through the drafts I encountered a problem with the understanding of initial user authentication. As written in the Core Assertion Architecture Document there seems to be authentication Assertion ( bottom of page 3 ). But I was not able to find anything specific about that topic, neither in the mentioned document nor in the Examples Document.

Is it wrong to make the assumption that initial authentication is achieved by sending an autorisation request on the top level of a ressource hierachy? Any comments on the subject are appreciated.

Kind regards

Heinz Kagermann

Heinz Kagermann
Development Security & Directory Services
mySAP Server Technology
Neurottstraße 16
D - 69190 Walldorf

Telefon