Subject: RE: Assertions and query architecture proposal

Having read Dave's draft I find that I am in agreement with most of it.

Some points:

1) Decision Assertion,
	This needs to be tied into the request-response protocol since the
decision will have no meaning without the context of the request.

2) Nesting

I would still prefer to introduce typing at the level of <Claims> and not at
the toplevel. I could live with an <AuthorizationClaim>, an <AttributeClaim>
structure etc..

3) Conditions

Conditions needs to be in the basic information package. It is basic
extension infrastructure. The only reason for excluding it from the basic
information package is that the <DecisionAssertion> does not include it. I
would prefer to treat decision assertions as part of the request/response
protocol, if they are important enough to have the rest of the basic
information set then there is reason to expect that condition extensions may
be required.

In fact a decision assertion is probably more likely to involve the need for
an audience restriction than other types of assertion.

4) Permissions

It may seem minor but spelling out Read and Write seems a good idea, this is
XML after all. More importantly I don't understand the semantics of 'Use' or
'Admin'. The term 'Control' is well defined in VMS - a person with control
permission can set access control policy to the resource. Admin could mean
'control access policy' or could mean perform other admin functions on the
resource. Equally 'Use' does not seem particularly well defined. 'Edit' and
'Delete' are well defined.

5) Attribute Assertion

At present this requires the introduction of a foreigh schema to define any
attributes or roles. While I agree that allowing for such schemas is usefull
and necessary I think that a lot of milage can be gained from using URIs to
represent 'atomic' attributes and roles.

6) Query Language

The query language appears to introduce highly structured data that is not
formatted in XML. The Query Language appears to me to be very much more
complex than regular expressions and involve a lot of unspoken assumptions
about policy becomming explicit in the SAML architecture. If I am not
allowed my trailing * to indicate 'all the resources within this hierarchy'
then I think that the query language has to be excluded.

	Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist
VeriSign Inc.