Subject: RE: Note on Digital Signing in SAML

Three separate issues here:

(1) Assertions MAY be signed using XML-SIG
(ISSUE: enveloped, enveloping, detached? --- are we ready to make a
recommendation? Do we want to constrain KeyInfo).

(2) Assertions MUST be signed if the RP receives them from any
intermediary (entity other than AP).

(3) BUT assertions may be embedded within Response/Request
messages. These may also be signed with XML-DSIG (ISSUE: as in
(1) above). Question: If an assertions are contained within
a signed Request/Response pair, can they "inherit" the
super-signature?? Should we support this flexibility or
should we insist that assertions be individually signed?

(4) BUT request/response messages may themselves be embedded
within other payloads (XML, MIME). These payloads may themselves
be signed. Should the contained SAML messages "inherit" the
super-signature??