Subject: Names (was Re: Minutes for Focus subgroup 3 Jul 2001 telecon)

    JH> There was a question about whether SASL authn mechanisms can
    JH> be mapped to URI.  JeffH noted that this certainly could be
    JH> done, one just needs to decide on the form of the URI and what
    JH> the mapping transformation is. Whether or not it is
    JH> ~appropriate~ for authn mechanisms, aka AuthnTypes, to be
    JH> expressed as URI is separarte question.

W/R/T to naming, I'm wondering if this wouldn't be an excellent
application of URNs. I think it would make a lot of sense to
have some fundamental authn types -- and other vocabulary items --
defined with URNs, and then allow extension with URLs or other
URIs.

For example, AuthN types could be something like:

        urn:x-saml:authn:secure-id
        urn:x-saml:authn:http-basic
        urn:x-saml:authn:http-digest
        urn:x-saml:authn:client-cert

...or what have you. This could be extended by implementers or
deployers using URLs, a la:

        http://www.toe-smell.test/authnmethod/toe-smell

It appears to be pretty easy to register an URN namespace ID (NID),
per urn:ietf:rfc:2611:

        http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2611.txt

It's probably noteworthy that OASIS already has a NID
(urn:ietf:rfc:3121), but this seems to be more oriented towards
administrative OASIS stuff rather than for subdivision and use by
OASIS standards groups.

        http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3121.txt

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou, Senior Architect        eprodromou@securant.com
Securant Technologies, Inc.             415-856-9551