Subject: RE: [XML Signature] DSig-01

> SOAP implicitely uses a detached signature as far as I understand.
>
> A drawback with enveloped signatures is that they clobber
> messages which is likely to be the reason why SOAP do not use such.

No, I think SOAP uses them detached because SOAP views the signing
aspect as a separate "module" from the core spec. I don't think SAML's
use of signing is quite so separate. But it could be, it's really just a
matter of what seems appropriate for the use case.

> I.e. using detached signatures there is no need for schemas
> to contain an optional Signature element.

What's the cost? You already have the KeyInfo there, so the schema's
already pulling in DSig. I think "clobber" is a bit strong.