Subject: Re: [security-services] Subject identification constraints

If that's the outcome it also answers my earlier query.

Stephen.

"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" wrote:

> [Assuming that we remove Assertion Specifier from the subject]
>
> The aubject element currently allows multiple NameIdentifier and
> SubjectConfirmation elements. There have been ongoing problems with the
> interpretation of multiple identifiers of each type, are they equivalent or
> not? At the F2F the preference was to allow no more than one element of each
> type, constraining the schema thus:
>
> Core 19 schema minus the assertion specifier:
>
>         <complexType name="SubjectType">
>                 <choice maxOccurs="unbounded">
>                         <element ref="saml:NameIdentifier"/>
>                         <element ref="saml:SubjectConfirmation"/>
>                 </choice>
>         </complexType>
>
> Would become
>
> The <Subject> element specifies a party by either or both of of the
> following means:
>
> ·       A name.
> ·       By information that allows the party to be authenticated.
>
> If a <Subject> element contains both a Name Identifier and a Subject
> Confirmation element it is asserted that the specified name is valid for a
> party whose identity is established by the specified subject confirmation
> method.
>
>         <complexType name="SubjectType">
>                 <choice>
>                         <sequence>
>                                 <element ref="saml:NameIdentifier"/>
>                                 <element ref="saml:SubjectConfirmation"
> minOccurs="0"/>
>                         </sequence>
>                         <sequence>
>                                 <element ref="saml:SubjectConfirmation"/>
>                         </sequence>
>                 </choice>
>         </complexType>
>
> Phill
>
> Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
> Principal Scientist
> VeriSign Inc.
> pbaker@verisign.com
> 781 245 6996 x227

Stephen Farrell
Baltimore Technologies,   tel: (direct line) +353 1 881 6716
39 Parkgate Street,                     fax: +353 1 881 7000
Dublin 8.                mailto:stephen.farrell@baltimore.ie
Ireland                             http://www.baltimore.com