Subject: RE: [security-services] Question on the use of <RespondWith>

Joe,

the <RespondWith> element is a very recent addition to the spec. It appears
to originate out of some fairly high-level discussion at F2F#5. I have
generated a separate message pointing out some of the complexities around
<RespondWith>.

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200201/msg00136.html
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200201/msg00136.html

I believe that the basic assumption in the request/response protocols was
that a response might contain any number of assertions containing any number
of statements of any type. Therefore, a conformant processor would have to
take care of all three levels of variation (not a big deal, IMHO).

The <RespondWith> element appears to be an attempt to discipline this
process BUT I dont see that its semantics are clearly specified. We need to
figure out if we can reasonably add some constraint of this type or remove
it from the specification.

[Prateek Mishra]

[JS]

 I have a question on the use of <RespondWith> in the RequestAbstractType of
the protocol. How would this be used to obtain an Assertion with multiple
Statements? In general, are there a use cases (maybe to be added to the
binding model)  that define when multiple Statements within a single
assertion would be returned to a client? Is there a use case for multiple
Statements of different types within the same Assertion?

Any pointers to discussion threads on this topic would be appreciated.

For example, I would like to obtain both Authentication information and
Attribute information. It appears that there is a great deal of flexibility
in the spec for doing this which may lead to interoperability issues.

Here are some potential ways to do it...
1) Separate Request/Response pairs
    <Request ...>
      <RespondWith>AuthenticationStatement</RespondWith>
      <AuthenticationQuery...>
  </Request>

  <Response ...>
      <Status>...</Status>
        <Assertion ...>
          <AuthenticationStatement ...>
      </Assertion>
  </Response>

    <Request ...>
      <RespondWith>AttributeStatement</RespondWith>
      <AttributeQuery...>
  </Request>

  <Response ...>
      <Status>...</Status>
        <Assertion ...>
          <AttributeStatement ...>
      </Assertion>
  </Response>

2) Multiple Assertions returned in a single Request/Response
    <Request ...>
      <RespondWith>AuthenticationStatement</RespondWith>
      <RespondWith>AttributeStatement</RespondWith>
      <AuthenticationQuery...>
  </Request>

  <Response ...>
      <Status>...</Status>
        <Assertion ...>
          <AuthenticationStatement ...>
      </Assertion>
        <Assertion ...>
          <AttributeStatement ...>
      </Assertion>
  </Response>

3)Single Assertion with multiple Statements in a single Request/Response
    <Request ...>
      <RespondWith>MultipleStatement</RespondWith> <!-- Is this how it
works? -->
      <RespondWith>AuthenticationStatement</RespondWith>
      <RespondWith>AttributeStatement</RespondWith>
      <AuthenticationQuery...>
  </Request>

  <Response ...>
      <Status>...</Status>
        <Assertion ...>
          <AuthenticationStatement ...>
          <AttributeStatement ...>
      </Assertion>
  </Response>

Thanks,
Joe

Joe Sanfilippo
Commerce One
19191 Vallco Parkway, Cupertino, CA 95014
Tel 408 517 9245; Fax 408 517 3992
joe.sanfilippo@commerceone.com