Subject: RE: [security-services] A Modest Proposal about Attribute Names

Pleeeeeeaaassseee!

We are going arround in circles here. The single URI attribute would bring
us almost full circle back to the original proposal in XTASS.

The argument over whether we have one attribute URI or the current structure
has been discussed at length at a face to face.

At present the spec only allows one name per namespace. Separating the two
ideas would have more relevance if an attribute statement could have
multiple attributes with different names in the same namespace that is
declared only once.

Ie.

namespace = http:/fred.org/fredness
	name = Alpha
	name = Beta

As it is the two can be combined quite easily:

http:/fred.org/fredness#Alpha

This would indicate some modest schema changes and eliminate one of the
empty elements that Eve hateth so much yea even unto the fifth generation,
etc.

The most obvious way to represent X.500 attributes would be to use the OID
URN:

namespace=OID:12.3.42.3.42.1.1.1

There is no need for a name in this instance.

I will do some research to find out the current status of the OID URI, if
the toplevel scheme did not go through the URN scheme must have.

		Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist
VeriSign Inc.