Subject: RE: [security-services] New authentication method for One-Time Password?

OK how about

SomethingCarried

and we can also add in for completeness

SomethingYouAre :-)

I dislike 2 factor since it might only be one of the factors.
-----Original Message-----
From: Philpott, Robert [mailto:rphilpott@rsasecurity.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 10:37 PM
To: oasis sstc (security-services@lists.oasis-open.org)

> I think that the Password auth method may be considered to cover this at the least.

Hi Phill - Unfortunately, we really need something distinct from password since we have some applications that MUST know whether a user authenticated with a single factor (e.g. LDAP password) or a 2-factor (e.g. SecurID token) authn method.

As I said, if folks object to a proprietary method (SECURID), I can live with something that at least indicates it was a 2-factor authentication.  Recommendations?

  • "TOKEN" - too generic? does not necessarily indicate 2-factor strength?
  • "2FACTOR" - perhaps this is the better choice
  • "OTP" - I don't think we should use this one since there's an RFC by this name that's specific to onlky one of several OTP methods