Subject: RE: [security-services] comments on bindings-model-14

I will look into the WORD problem. Looks like I may
have to abandon(obsolete) Word 97 and move on...

>>1. altho the sections are numbered in the TOC, sections are
>>unnumbered in the
>>document body. A Word problem? Anyone else see this or is it just  me?

The proposed text sounds good to me. I dont see a problem with
a lack of "password" subject confirmation as no such concept is
involved in the example.

Text for Section 5:
-------------------------------

[SAMLcore] defines <SubjectConfirmationMethod> as part of the
<SubjectConfirmation> element.
The <SubjectConfirmation> element SHOULD be used by the Relying Party to
confirm that the
request or message came from the System Entity that corresponds to the
Subject in the statement.
The <SubjectConfirmationMethod> indicates the specific method which the
Relying Party should
use to make this judgement. This may or may not have any relationship to an
authentication that was performed previously. Unlike the Authentication
Method,
the <SubjectConfirmationMethod> will usually be accompanied with some piece
of
information, such as a certificate or key, which will allow the Relying
Party
to perform the necessary check.

It is anticipated that profiles and bindings will define and use several
different values for <SubjectConfirmationMethod>, each corresponding to a
different SAML usage scenario.
Some examples are:

1. A user logs in with a password, and a temporary passcode or cookie signed

is issued and used for confirmation purposes to avoid repeated exposure of
the long term password.

2. There is no login, but an application request includes SAML assertions
and is digitally signed. The
associated public key is used for confirmation.