Subject: [security-services] RE: [saml-dev] status code value

> "All status code values defined in this document are QNames
> associated with the SAML protocol namespace,  and MUST be prefixed
> appropriately when they appear in SAML messages."
>
> To my understanding, this means a valid status code value
> would be: "urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:protocol:Success"
>
> For example,
> <abc:StatusCode xmlns:abc="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:protocol"
> Value="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:protocol:Success"/>

No, that's not a QName. A QName is a namespace prefix and a local name
(the prefix being optional), not a complete namespace and a local name.

So you have to have:

<StatusCode xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:protocol"
Value="Success"/>

or

<samlp:StatusCode xmlns:samlp="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:protocol"
    Value="samlp:Success"/>

There are inconsistencies in various XML APIs and specs in terms of
properly handling QNames in attribute values and element content,
because the usage wasn't initially expected or defined. But it's
increasingly common.

Personally, I had to define a QName type and implement some of the
behavior I needed, but some parsers may provide some of that.