Subject: RE: [security-services] MS announces SAML support (?)

Title: RE: [security-services] MS announces SAML support (?)

In a later talk, it became very clear that what MS wants to do is what Phill said on the last call: treat SAML as a first class object WRT WS-Security headers.

Don't expect Passport to start using SAML.

MS also is much enamored of XrML. They also identified XrML as something they want to also put in WS-Security headers. They expressed the idea that XrML duplicates SAML, which at first seemed absurd to me. However on reflection, I think that their intention is to use XrML licenses as capabilities.

When I was first exposed to Access Control theory back around 1985, I was told "capabilities don't scale." as if it were scripture. It was so long ago, I don't even clearly remember the reasoning in detail. I will have to think about how the world has changed and if it has altered the argument.

I also need to think about the semantic difference between an XrML license or XACML policy and the response to a soon to be proposed AuthZ Dec Query, with enhanced XACML output context.

I'll write more on this soon.

Hal