Subject: [security-services] [Fwd: RSA Disclosure Q]

Rob:

I have received the attached query from an OASIS member who would like
some clarification on the RSA IPR statement before his company can make
a decision about voting to approve the SAML spec. I don't have the email
address for your corporate counsel, Margaret K. Seif, whose name is
attached to the RSA statement; could you forward this query or otherwise
come back with an answer?

thanks

</karl>
Karl F. Best
OASIS - Director, Technical Operations
+1 978.667.5115 x206

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RSA Disclosure Q
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 00:37:17 -0700
From: "Chris Kurt" <ckurt@microsoft.com>
To: "Karl F. Best" <karl.best@oasis-open.org>

In reviewing the SAML specification and RSA disclosure for vote, there
is an ambiguity that we would like clarification on.  Specifically, the
section of the disclosure below is an obligation to grant RF licenses to
end users, and end users of products developed by toolkits or operating
systems.  However, it is not clear what licensing terms are committed to
the toolkit or operating system providers themselves.  The section below
could be read to apply to end users only.  What are the licensing terms
for these products?

<snip>
The license terms for the RSA Patents will permit end-users to use the
Licensed Products. However, in the event that a Licensed Product is a
product (such as a toolkit product or operating system service) that is
used to develop other products, the licensee of the RSA Patents must
require users of the Licensed Products to obtain a license directly from
RSA for the RSA Patents. RSA will grant such licenses on the same
royalty-free terms described above.
</snip>

Thanks
cmk