Subject: [security-services] Proposed wording for IPR standing rule

In today's telecon, we approved a newly clarified charter, and also
began to approve standing rules that will be linked to from the charter.
  We have approved two so far; the rule related to IPR remains to be
decided on.

We are planning to vote on the following standing rule in our next
telecon on March 4th.  Please use this time to check with your corporate
attorneys as necessary.  One idea that came up on the mailing list and
in today's call was to simplify the wording to make it easier for
implementors to understand; while we ultimately backed off from this
idea in order to stick closely to wording that's already in use in the
LegalXML TCs, if you feel this is important, please look into the
acceptable possibilities for doing do with your experts on hand.

"It is the goal of the TC not to approve any technical specification if
it believes that the use, distribution, or implementation of such
specification would require the unauthorized infringement of any third
party rights known to the TC, and such third party has not agreed to
provide and openly specify necessary license rights on perpetual,
royalty-free, non-discriminatory terms."

If you have suggestions or questions, please post them as a response to
this message.

	Eve

Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Technologies and Standards               eve.maler @ sun.com