Subject: RE: [saml-dev] Question about the base64 encoding in Browser/POST profile

Jon,

Reviewing the relevant text (lines 692-694 of the bindings document) it appears that we haven't explicitly called out the use of UTF-8. This seems to be standard technique used, for example, in c14n canonicalization.

Before the document is base64 encoded, it is first converted to a byte-stream using UTF-8. I have also forwarded this message to Jahan Moreh who is maintaining the SAML errata list. We should pick this up as potential errata.

Does that address your concerns? Are we still missing something here?

- prateek

-----Original Message-----
From: Westbrock, Jon [FRCO/RTC] [mailto:Jon.Westbrock@EmersonProcess.com]
Sent:
Friday, March 14, 2003 1:06 PM
To: 'saml-dev@lists.oasis-open.org'

I am trying to prototype the Browser/POST profile and I have a question about the use of base64 in this profile. In step 2 of this profile, the base64 encoding of a SAML response is embedded in a HTML form. In order to do this you must first serialize the SAML response to a sequence of octets, which can then be base64 encoded. What character encoding is supposed to be used to serialize the SAML response to a sequence of octets? Do you use the character encoding of the HTTP message? It seems like the SAML response could be serialized using a character encoding that is different than the HTTP message. In this case, how would be destination site known what characeter encoding should be used when decoding the SAML response?

Any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jon Westbrock