Subject: Erratum: Descriptions of QNames

I'm discovering that the descriptions of the operation of AuthorityKind
and RespondWith are a bit misleading when it comes to QNames.  I'd like
to suggest a change that I'm happy to consider editorial, but I will
wait for the group's consensus on this before making the change.

Near lines 716 (all line references in this message are to core 1.0) for
AuthorityKind, and 968 for RespondWith, the text gives an example of a
QName in use and unfortunately implies (rather more strongly in the
latter case) that the prefix must read "saml" when a natively defined
construct is being referenced.  But the prefix of a namespaced value is
never fixed, and we don't clarify that the appropriate namespace must
have been defined in the scope of the relevant element where the QName
appears.

It would be better to say something like this (underscores around new or
changed material):

For AuthorityKind: "For example, an attribute authority would be
identified by AuthorityKind="samlp:AttributeQuery", _where there is a
namespace declaration in the scope of this attribute that binds the
saml: prefix to the SAML protocol namespace_."

For RespondWith: "For example, a requestor that wishes to receive
assertions containing only attribute statements _would_ [this was a
lowercase "must"] specify
<RespondWith>saml:AttributeStatement</RespondWith>, _where the prefix is
bound to the SAML assertion namespace in a namespace declaration that is
in the scope of this element_."

The QName description starting at line 1255 regarding StatusCode seems okay.

	Eve
Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Technologies and Standards               eve.maler @ sun.com