Subject: Re: [security-services] AI 0031 Clarify text around AuthorityKind

Jahan Moreh wrote:
> Is it really ambiguous? Lines 720-722 of draft 05 state:
> For extension schemas, where the actual type of the <samlp:Query> would be
> identified by an xsi:type attribute, the value of AuthorityKind MUST be the
> same as the value of the xsi:type attribute for the corresponding query.
>
> Doesn't this text explicitly state preference for "type" over "element"?
>
> In any case, I am happy to add a potential erratum if you still feel this is
> an issue and we can discuss it tomorrow.

Ah, you're right.  The original wording doesn't have this problem
(though it makes the element-or-type part of the description look pretty
byzantine).  Scott's suggested rewording potentially adds this problem,
though:

"---begin---
Query extensions may be passed as a literal extension element
subtitutable for <samlp:Query> (e.g. <ns:NewQuery>) or as a
<samlp:Query> accompanied by an xsi:type attribute (e.g. <samlp:Query
xsi:type="ns:NewQueryType">). In such cases, the
"AuthorityKind" attribute MAY be set to either the derived element name
or the xsi:type value.
---end---"

It's still highly unlikely for there to be symbol space ambiguity given
this setup, but still...  I'd rather go for a goal of "as few options as
possible, ideally one" (this was one of the original XML design
principles), and pick one or the other.  Since substituted elements have
to be of compatible types with the head of the substitution group, and
assuming this causes no problems with implementers, I'd go with types
instead of elements all around as soon as practicable (and get rid of
<RespondWith> :-).

	Eve
Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Technologies and Standards               eve.maler @ sun.com