Subject: suggested text for AI-32 re: non-use of confirmation data in BAP and a couple of editorial changes

The following changes are for the Bindings and Profiles Document.  Line references are relative to the draft-02 Word document.

Line 499 uses the term "authentication assertion".  This is an error and should actually be "SSO assertion".

523  At least one of the SAML assertions returned to the destination site MUST be an SSO assertion.

524  Authentication statements MAY be distributed across more than one returned assertion.

525  The <saml:ConfirmationMethod> element of each assertion MUST be set to

526  urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:cm:artifact-01.

Note that this text is not very precise since a confirmation is not really associated with an entire assertion.  It is part of the SAML subject that appears in every statement within an assertion. I am assuming that the CM should be in every statement in the SSO assertion.

Also, I understand that we allow requests that include multiple artifacts, so I can understand how multiple SSO assertions would need to be returned.  However, I do not understand a use case that would result in any assertions **other than SSO assertions** to be returned in the samlp:Response to a samlp:Request for AssertionArtifact. Such a response seems to be permitted by line 523, but I don't quite "get it".

However, since other folks might get it, I am not recommending a change to the first 2 lines above.

I do recommend an editorial clarification for the last 2 lines (525-526) and some additional text to satisfy the action item I took as follow:

The <saml:Subject> element for each statement in the SSO assertion(s) being returned MUST contain a <saml:SubjectConfirmation> element as defined below:

  • The <saml:ConfirmationMethod> element MUST be set to  urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:cm:artifact-01
  • The <SubjectConfirmationData> element SHOULD NOT be specified.

Note that I expressly limited the inclusion of the SubjectConfirmation to the SSO assertions since I didn't understand a use case for other assertions being included.

I think this is okay for V1.1, but we should clarify it a bit more in V2.0.

Anyone disagree with these changes?

Rob Philpott
RSA Security Inc.
The Most Trusted Name in e-Security