Subject: RE: [security-services] New draft of SAML FAQ

Thank you for pulling this together folks... nice job.  A couple of minor comments:

1. Q: Will SAML PDPs need to be configured to understand only selected authentication decision queries?

[Rob] This should be "authorization", not "authentication"

2. In the answer to "Q: What is the connection between acts of authentication and SAML authentication assertions?", "public key associated with signature on a document" should be "public key associated with **a** signature on a document".

3. The answer to "Q: How does SAML protect against "man-in-the-middle" and "replay" security attacks in general?" starts with "SAML doesn't really do anything "in general".".  The initial impression is that they weren't taken into account, which isn't true.  The specs provides guidance on things that deal with attack detection/avoidance such as uniqueness of identifiers, a requirement that requests by artifact must be received from the site for which the artifact was generated, etc. I think it is accurate to say something like "The SAML assertions and protocol schemas were developed with various types of security attacks in mind and include several mechanisms useful in mitigating such attacks."  And then continue with the "Profiles..." sentences.

That's it for now...  Now back to my vacation deck project...

Rob Philpott

RSA Security Inc.

The Most Trusted Name in e-Security

Tel: 781-515-7115