Subject: Minutes for Telecon, Tuesday 30 September 2003

Minutes for SSTC Telecon, Tuesday 30 September 2003
Dial in info: +1 865-673-3239  #238-3466
Minutes taken by Steve Anderson

                              Summary

  Votes:

    - Minutes from 16 September 2003 call accepted
    - To accept Eve's proposal to bulk close the remaining V1.1
      deferred issues

  Notable Decisions

    - Work item list closed, and work items that have not made
      progress by 14 Oct may also be terminated

  Previous Action Items Still Open:

    - #0072: Authentication Context
    - #0077: Authorization Decision Reconciliation
    - #0069: Baseline Attribute Namespaces
    - #0074: Create SAML 2.0 issues list
    - #0065: Credentials Collector
        - REASSIGNED to Tim
    - #0068: Delegation and Intermediaries
    - #0061: Kerberos Use Cases for SAML 2.0
    - #0064: Metadata and Exchange Protocol
    - #0063: Profile Enhancements for Metadata
    - #0082: Promised V2.0 Changes
    - #0060: Publish pointer to SAML 1.0 Session Materials
    - #0070: SAML as a SASL security mechanism
    - #0059: Session Support
    - #0066: SSO Profile Enhancements
    - #0076: XACML Proposal for Policy Transport

  New Action Items:

    - Rob to post new F2F attendance ballot
    - Eve to send out hotel info for F2F, and check on Sun rates
    - Rob to draft charter changes
    - Eve to update work items document to v08
    - Prateek to ping Hal for a date for AI #0077 & #0060
    - Eve to suggest categories for issues list
    - Eve to indicate in the v2.0 issues doc what became of old
      issues
    - Prateek to ping Frederick on AI #0082
    - RLBob to ping Jeff on keeping/closing AI #0070

                             Raw Notes

> Agenda:
>
> 1. Roll call

- Attendance attached to bottom of these minutes
- Quorum achieved

> 2. Accept minutes from previous meeting, 16 September
>    < http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/
>      200309/msg00076.html >

- [VOTE] unanimous consent, accepted

> 3. October 22-24 SAML V2.0 F2F #2 logistics
>
>      Host?
>      Attendance confirmation ballot
>      Other?

- Rob: got mail from Jeff indicating that he can host at Sun
- XACML TC is planning to meet at beginning of same week
- Will XACML meet on of 22nd?
    - Hal: yes, in morning, since SSTC planned to meet in PM
    - discussion of location proximity
    - XACML meeting in San Jose, SSTC meeting in Santa Clara
    - seems to be less than 15 minutes away
- [ACTION] Rob to post new F2F attendance ballot
- Eve: suggests 2 hour lunch/travel break on 22nd
- Hal: can make sure XACML breaks early enough
- Rob: will plan SSTC F2F to run 1:30 - 4:30 on Wed, and 9:30 - 5:30
  Thurs and Fri
- Eve: someone had asked about hotels
    - Scott: Marriott next to Sun
    - Hal: suggests Yahoo, put in address,
    - [ACTION] Eve to send out hotel info for F2F, and check on Sun rates
    - Rob: would be useful to know whether cars would be necessary at
      various hotels

<      < http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#charter >

>      Needs recorded approval vote of 2/3 total membership (not just
>      2/3 of a meeting with quorum) and notification/approval of OASIS
>      TC Administration.

- Rob: what would 2/3 of current membership be?
    - Steve: 18
- Rob: need someone to pose charter wording to list
    - [silence]
- [ACTION] Rob to draft charter changes

> 5. V2.0 Work Item review

- Prateek: we had announced intention to close work item list about now
- [RESOLVED] Work item list closed, and work items that have not made
  progress by 14 Oct may also be terminated

>      Identify and discuss the top priority items from the work
>      list/action item list to discuss on today's con-call
>
>      < http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/3530/
>        sstc-saml-scope-2.0-draft-07.doc >

- [ACTION] Eve to update work items document to v08
- Rob: still need owners for some of these
    - W12
        - Prateek: not clear that this was linked to XACML
        - Rob: just looking at category keywords
        - Scott: thinks this was just going to be influenced by XACML-
          related work
    - W13
        - Eve: we deferred this, will update in v08
    - W22
    - W23
    - W24
    - W27
    - need to make sure that there aren't unassigned items that people
      feel strongly about, because they will get dropped
- Rob: there have been several postings on work items
	- Prateek: we had promises on dates on several action items at last
	  meeting
	- would like to 'crack the whip' a little
	- suggests a focus group call next week, to complete some of the
	  details discussions
	- wants to clarify ownership of AIs
	- Rebekah: has 2 solutions to submit, but wasn't sure how
	- Rob: if you're a voting member (and she is), you can go to
	  'Documents' tab on TC home page
	- in 'V2.0 Working Docs' section, can click 'Add doc'
	- Rebekah: has had trouble on that page, may be related to unusual
	  browser
	- will send to list

>    #0075: Attribute Reconciliation
>    Owner: Rebekah Lepro
>    Assigned: 16 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---
>    Comments:
>      Active work item - Waiting for solution proposal
>      XACML and SAML structure their attribute information differently.
>        This needs to be addressed.

- Rebekah: has something to submit later today
- [sent before end of call]
  < http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/
    200309/msg00101.html >
- CLOSED

>    #0072: Authentication Context
>    Owner: Jeff Hodges
>    Assigned: 16 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---
>    Comments:
>      Main task is to approrpiately move Liberty AuthContext
>        specification into OASIS (so it becomes a standard).
>      Jeff will ping Paul Madsen to see if he is interested.

- Prateek: need to find an owner
- tentative date is still 14 Oct
- Jeff will be trying to find an owner

>    #0077: Authorization Decision Reconciliation
>    Owner: Hal Lockhart
>    Assigned: 16 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---
>    Comments:
>      This includes issues of whether to make backwards-incompatible
>        changes to the existing structure (and/or deprecate it).

- Prateek: there was no promised date on this
- stays open
- [ACTION] Prateek to ping Hal for a date for AI #0077 (along with #0060)

>    #0069: Baseline Attribute Namespaces
>    Owner: Bob Morgan
>    Assigned: 16 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---
>    Comments:
>      Use-case discussed at F2F and generally supported. Waiting for
>        solution proposal.
>      For example, a DSML or X.500 profile for a person's attributes
>        expressed in SAML.

- RLBob: still working, target date 7 Oct
- Rob: in time for focus call?
- RLBob: will try

>    #0074: Create SAML 2.0 issues list
>    Owner: Eve Maler
>    Assigned: 16 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---

- Eve: hasn't created formal list, but sent email before call listing
  the ones she has
  < http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/
    200309/msg00100.html >
    - from email:
		- Null-value attributes (saml-dev)
		- Version skew confusion (between SAML and Liberty)
		    - Maryann: what is goal?  to synch them up?
		    - Eve: maybe just something to be aware of as we work,
		      rather than a formal issue
		    - could be covered in the Exec Overview
		- Multiple Kerb confirmation method URIs (came up at F2F)
		- The individual promised V2.0 changes (see AI #83 below)
- we had categories before, and we probably need to refresh those
  categories
- if anyone has suggestions, would welcome them
- [ACTION] Eve to suggest categories for issues list

>    #0065: Credentials Collector
>    Owner: Jeff Hodges
>    Assigned: 16 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---
>    Comments:
>      Waiting on use-case proposal.

- Tim: working on use case proposal
- REASSIGN to Tim
- will have draft for F2F

>    #0068: Delegation and Intermediaries
>    Owner: Bob Morgan
>    Assigned: 16 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---
>    Comments:
>      Delegation and Intermediaries
>      Use cases that support arbitrary multi-hop delegation. Liberty
>        WSF supports one-hop impersonation. The relationship of this
>        to WSS needs to be sorted out. This relates to the Fidelity
>        need for a WSRP profile. This is related to W-11. The item
>        "multi-participant transactional workflows" was folded into
>        this one.
>      WAITING for Use-Case proposal.

- RLBob: complexity can get out of hand here
- Scott: can put use case forward
- RLBob: will target week before F2F

>    #0071: Enhanced Client Profiles
>    Owner: Frederick Hirsch
>    Assigned: 16 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---
>    Comments:
>      Use-case discussed at F2F. Awaiting candidate solution.

- Frederick sent proposal
  < http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/
    200309/msg00084.html >
- CLOSED

>    #0073: Extract enhancement requests from current issues list
>    Owner: Eve Maler
>    Assigned: 16 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---

- Eve: sent email on this
  < http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/
    200309/msg00091.html >
- [MOTION] To accept Eve's proposal to bulk close the remaining V1.1
  deferred issues
- [VOTE] passes
- [ACTION] Eve to indicate in the v2.0 issues doc what became of old
  issues
- CLOSED

>    #0078: IssuerName Enhancement
>    Owner: Rebekah Lepro
>    Assigned: 16 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---
>    Comments:
>      XACML would like to have "datatyping" of issuers.

- Rebekah: just submitted
  < http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/
    200309/msg00102.html >
- CLOSED

>    #0061: Kerberos Use Cases for SAML 2.0
>    Owner: John Hughes
>    Assigned: 15 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---
>    Comments:
>      John presented some Kerberos-SAML use-cases at the F2F. Next
>        steps are to revise the materials and respond to comments.
>        Meeting minutes describe the following next steps: (1) write up
>        presentation to drill down details (2) also rollup to ensure
>        that business needs are met.

- John: hopes to post on Monday

>    #0064: Metadata and Exchange Protocol
>    Owner: Jahan Moreh
>    Assigned: 15 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---
>    Comments:
>      Means of publishing and communicating meta-data. Waiting on a
>        solution proposal.

- Jahan: had promised by 7 Oct, which is still the target

>    #0063: Profile Enhancements for Metadata
>    Owner: Jahan Moreh
>    Assigned: 15 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---
>    Comments:
>      Waiting on a solution proposal.

- Jahan: will provide by 14 Oct

>    #0082: Promised V2.0 Changes
>    Owner: Eve Maler
>    Assigned: 16 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---
>    Comments:
>      Removing (core)
>      Removing (core)
>      Removing deprecated NameIdentifier URIs (core)
>      Requiring URI references to be absolute (core)
>      Disallowing as the only child of a SOAP (bindings)
>      Removing deprecated artifact URI (bindings)

- Covered already on call
  < http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/
    200309/msg00100.html >
- Eve: assumes she is to implement these
- some are hers, some are Frederick's
- promises hers for 14 Oct
- Frederick is on hook for part
- [ACTION] Prateek to ping Frederick on AI #0082

>    #0060: Publish pointer to SAML 1.0 Session Materials
>    Owner: Hal Lockhart
>    Assigned: 15 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---

- [ACTION] Prateek to ping Hal for a date for AI #0060 (along with #0077)

>    #0070: SAML as a SASL security mechanism
>    Owner: Bob Morgan
>    Assigned: 16 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---
>    Comments:
>      Active work item -- waiting solution proposal.
>      Defining SAML as a SASL security mechanism.
>      Re-spun title of action item.

- RLBob: F2F discussion was that this wasn't necessarily an AI for this
  group
- to be an official IANA registered mech, it would have to be an IETF doc
- not that it isn't useful to do here, but not necessary to track
- Jeff may be the only one with strong feeling
- [ACTION] RLBob to ping Jeff on keeping/closing AI #0070

>    #0059: Session Support
>    Owner: John Kemp
>    Assigned: 15 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---
>    Comments:
>      Use case document was presented at the Sep 2003 F2F and will be
>        revised based on comments given there. Once that is complete, a
>        gap analysis between the use cases and available material in
>        Liberty is required. That will be followed by a solution
>        proposal.

- Eve: he sent out doc
  < http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/
    200309/msg00097.html >
- Scott: more of a defining doc, than a solution proposal, etc
- stays open

>    #0066: SSO Profile Enhancements
>    Owner: Prateek Mishra
>    Assigned: 16 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---
>    Comments:
>      Moved to Active work item after F2F discussion and presentation
>        of use-case. Candidate solution should reference both Liberty
>        and SAML 1.1 draft. Need to conduct survey of "typical" data
>        items transf. from SP to IdP.

- Prateek: will publish by end of week

>    #0062: SSO with Attribute Exchange
>    Owner: Prateek Mishra
>    Assigned: 15 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---
>    Comments:
>      High level use-case was presented at the F2F. Next steps are to
>        specify the use-case in detail.

- Prateek: use case doc has been published
  < http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/
    200309/msg00092.html >
- CLOSED

>    #0076: XACML Proposal for Policy Transport
>    Owner: Hal Lockhart
>    Assigned: 16 Sep 2003
>    Due: ---
>    Comments:
>      Waiting on a solution proposal.
>      XACML has asked for a SAML-based solution to transporting
>        requests for policies and the policies themselves.

- Scott: major AI was for committee to determine whether it would own it
  or defer to XACML
- stays open until Hal can speak to it

> 6. Any other business

- Rob: focus group con call next week?
    - Tony: what's purpose?
    - Prateek: to work through proposals
    - Eve: won't be able to attend
    - Rob: agrees we need to make progress through submitted docs
    - Prateek: there will be an agenda, but it won't be a quorate call
    - will state what docs we'll review
    - Prateek: just realized that he can't attend
    - Jahan: can only attend after 1pm ET
    - Eve: may be too late to plan
    - had planned alternate week editorial calls, but only as necessary
    - Rob: suggests, then, that at next formal call (14 Oct), we plow
      through some of these
    - will return to 2 hour calls
    - really need people to be prepared, having read the docs
    - Eve: can we get agendas out sooner?
    - Rob/Prateek: will shoot for Fri before call
    - Eve: will send out edited work item list shortly after this call
    - Rob: will have link to this doc off TC home page
- Eve: editorial stuff
    - sent out email covering this before call
	  < http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/
		200309/msg00100.html >
    - from email:
		- Each lead editor to get his/her document up to V2.0
		  readiness, possibly changing the data format as well
		  (most people were interested in using OpenOffice)
		    - Jahan: where can we get OpenOffice?
		    - Eve: openoffice.org
		    - Jahan: is OpenOffice required?
		    - Eve: left it open
		    - discussion of adding notes to PDF, seems you can with
		      Distiller
		- Rob to update the website with additional material
		    - Eve: can talk offline about these items
		- John Hughes to produce drafts of the executive and
		  technical overviews.  (We brainstormed outlines for
		  these last week.)
		- Eve to send out links to handy resources.  (Done.)
		- Eve to enhance the FAQ with additional material.
    - are there any others?
        - John: took action to contact Burton to get quotes for
          exec overview
        - Eve: will track these as separate list, and will be reflected
          in each call's agenda
- Rob: when do we want F2F ballot to close?
    - Eve: make it 15 Oct

> 7. Adjourn

- Adjourned

Attendance of Voting Members:

  Hal Lockhart BEA
  Ronald Jacobson Computer Associates
  John Hughes Entegrity Solutions
  Maryann Hondo IBM
  Anthony Nadalin IBM
  Scott Cantor Individual
  Bob Morgan Individual
  Rebekah Lepro NASA
  Prateek Mishra Netegrity
  Senthil Sengodan Nokia
  Charles Knouse Oblix
  Steve Anderson OpenNetwork
  Eric Gravengaard Reactivity
  John Linn RSA Security
  Rob Philpott RSA Security
  Dipak Chopra SAP
  Jahan Moreh Sigaba
  Eve Maler Sun
  Emily Xu Sun

Attendance of Observers or Prospective Members:

  Jim Lien RSA
  Tim Moses Entrust
  Mike Beach Boeing

Membership Status Changes:

  Tim Moses Entrust - Requested membership 9/18/2003
  Timo Skytta Nokia - Requested membership 9/23/2003
  Darren Platt Individual - Withdrew 9/30/2003
  Peter Davis Neustar - Granted voting status after 9/30/2003 call
  Peiyin Pai CA - Granted voting status after 9/30/2003 call
  Jim Lien RSA - Granted voting status after 9/30/2003 call

--
Steve