Subject: RE: [security-services] Assertion level Subject

Scott Cantor wrote on 10/19/2003, 2:22 PM:

 > One small note is that we would just need to phrase this carefully to
 > address the fact that not all statements have subjects. The only gray
 > area
 > would be a statement that had an optional subject, but we currently don't
 > have such a thing. If we did, I'm not sure it would be workable in that
 > case.

If there is was an optional subject for a statement AND the assertion
was to be generrated with no subject for that statement the assertion
could be generated with statement level subjects and no assertion level
subjects.  In other words, "don't use an assertion level subject if you
want a statement with an optional subject to have no subject".

There is a similar issue in defining what happens if both a statement
and assertion level Subject were specified.  My suggestion is that the
statement level subject would overide the assertion level subject and if
both were desired in the statement, the statement would have to include
both.

Another solution for the optional subject would be to have a special URI
for the <Format> sub-element to represent a "NULL" subject (along the
lines of a "this page intentionally blank" statement).

Conor